Sunday, March 11, 2012

Beauty, in all it's Beauty


            Wow. I do not know if I shall be able to look passed the last three minutes of the video series objectively enough to give credit to all the truth it contained. Even writing the end of that sentence made me a little ill. Shake it off….whew. So first you tell me that when beauty was based upon the principles of beauty as defined by Christian religion (yes, mr. video-man, you did mention other religions, but your screenshots only showed churches and cathedrals – I can only assume that Christianity is the one you meant to highlight) that it was done right. You say that the moral and spiritual needs of man fulfilled in man-made beauty (art) were grasped completely when God was the standard upon which that pursuit was based. Then you tell me that when science got in the way and people became skeptical of those bases, that art turned to ugliness and real beauty was forgotten. Then you tell me that beauty is a SUBSTITUTE for this religion that captured and DEFINED it?!?! What the….?!?!?! I’m sorry, but did you just miss everything else you just said?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Really?! Seriously ?! a SUBSTITUTE?!?! Up to this point, the video described an inherent connection between what real beauty is and an attempt to connect to, reflect, and reveal some sort of “God”. How could beauty as defined in the video even exist apart from that, if all of beauty’s standards were written with that connection! Really, how could “religion” be a “beauty-substitute”? If this incredible heaven-beauty connection that video-man was pushing is true, then beauty serves to prove religion just as much as religion serves to define it. Religion cannot stand alone as something put in place of beauty – the beauty of God is intrinsic to that which truly is Christianity! Not only was that statement so contradictory to the rest of the video(s) that it made me ill, it reveals an awful understanding of religion and horrible, horrible logic!
            Okay, I feel I just repeated the same thing like, four times, but that took me so completely aback that I cannot bother to care. Anyway, up until the end, I believe that the essay and the video were in pretty strong accord, save for the fact that the essay acknowledged the hand (and duty) of Christianity in regards to beauty, rather than the hand of beauty in regards to religion. The essay was pretty spot-on I believe. I myself have heard of the contrasting symphonies of which it speaks, some completely insane and some very orderly and graceful. What I feel was not defined enough (in either the essay or the video) was the delineation between “truly creative” and “ugly”. This is something I have struggled with quite often. Even though the symphony in complete discord does not perhaps reflect “Christian beauty”, but the understanding of music, the vision, the talent….everything that went into just how bizarre it was…can be incredibly imaginative! Those sorts of pieces require a vision that so few in this world could ever even dream of. Real, quality instruments, put to unique tempo and unique sound…there is something to be said for those pieces by those who understand what the composer is doing. It may not be the most seamless song, but there is something there. And no, I’m not describing trash that is just sound. These sounds had a purpose. Like…hm…better example: contemporary art is mostly crap. However, if an artist can take something normal and beautiful and do something completely different with it, something unique, something with a real vision and use of talent through whatever medium, that doesn’t make it ugly. That doesn’t mean it is valueless just because it’s in pieces. I mean, Venus de Milo has no arms, but she’s “beautiful”. Michelangelo’s David’s hands, head, and feet are not true to real human proportion, but it’s still “beautiful”. There is a certain type of artistic license that can be had with nature and its beauty, but this fine line between inventive/unique/creative and ugly I feel was not addressed. I mean, I sculpted an iguana once. It’s a pretty awesome iguana - really accurate and well done - however just because I can replicate nature, to me doesn’t feel like I’m actually an “artist” (although some would think I am). Some people think I’m a musician too, but I am not. So I know a few chords and can appreciate the more intricate things in music that others may not recognize. So what? …We addressed this in class, when Mr. Dyck spoke about his nephew that can play music vs. his niece that can “play” music, but I just felt like the essay and videos didn’t. Those who can actually “do” will do something more.
            The video and the essay did both talk about uplifting the mundane though, and I suppose they had a point there: putting the simpler things into certain lights so that we will appreciate the truth and beauty behind them. So cool, my iguana is a “beautiful” iguana. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it is that I think more in terms of music. That song of Mary’s mourning at the end of the video series really spoke to that for me, as do many string-based symphonies: There is a story behind them that can only be shown by a particular manipulation of the music; one that writing is just so beyond me in grasping. I mean, if you want to make something sound sad, use minor chords. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in a minor key is incredibly depressing. Thank you Bryan. But to turn a story into sound requires a level of real vision and composing ability that absolutely boggles my mind. To me, THAT is creating real art. That is abstract in the most beautiful form. Soooo beyond me. I wish both the video and essay would have spent more time on music….
            Overall, the way by which art should reflect real beauty and truth as expressed by the essay and (most of) the video I agreed with. Sometimes I struggle with what real creativity is, however….for myself, it is often times the creativity and ingenuity behind the work that is more beautiful and fascinating than the end product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment