Sunday, November 27, 2011

Enough About Morals..

Q:      How would I respond to the suggestion that there are no absolute moral values that apply to everyone ?


A:      First, probably by suggesting that they couldn't suggest that, lest they stand in self-contradiction. Then I'd probably ask them "But in any case, if you could somehow be taken logically, then I ask why not?" Then they'd prolly give me all this BS about how different cultures view morals...then i'd prolly jack his glasses or something. He'd get on my case and I'd point out that there are absolutes that carry over - nobody likes things taken from them..etc etc. If this were a scenario where I was talking to a person, I'd probably have to settle with opening this door for them into actually thinking about that little statement they'd made. However, were I to come across this suggestion in written form, where my response would have to be in writing, I'd probably allow myself to go further into the logical journey where moral absolutes do end up popping up, tracing to a source outside ourselves, and eventually to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment